Rare Antique Blue English Transferware Platter Staffordshire Ironstone - Manufactured for EA & SR Filley, St. Louis, MO. by T.J. & J. Mayer Longport.
Measurements - 13 1/2" x 10 1/2"
In Antique as Found Condition - Crazing - some small stains
Quoted From: U. S. Importers of Staffordshire Ceramics in Antebellum America 1820-1860 By John A. Walthall
"The Filleys were an old New England family centered in the Hartford, Connecticut area. Several of the sons of this family took part in the Western Migration and settled in St. Louis during the Jacksonian Era. Oliver Dwight Filley, a tinsmith and merchant, who set up shop in St. Louis in 1832, was the first. He was followed by several brothers and cousins, including Giles, Samuel, Edward, and Chauncey. Two of the Filleys, Oliver and Chauncey, were elected mayor of St. Louis, and all became successful businessmen and well-known citizens. The Filleys were strong abolitionists and staunch supporters of the Union cause in Missouri, which in the Antebellum era was a sharply divided state (Southerton 2005). Giles was the first merchant in the family to enter the Staffordshire pottery trade. As is common in life, this move was more serendipity than planned – Giles had no burning desire to enter the pottery business. He became a partner with his brother Oliver in the tinsmith business, but soon realized that the shop did not generate enough income to support two families. In 1841 Giles traveled to New York to buy trade goods to barter for furs with Indian tribes up the Missouri River, a then flourishing area of commerce for young men on the western frontier. Instead, by chance, he was offered a shipment of Staffordshire pottery at a good price. He took the offer and shipped the crates and hogsheads of pottery back to St. Louis. There he rented a store and established a retail business (Southerton 2005:82-83). In 1844 Giles travelled to England to the Staffordshire pottery district and met Thomas, James, and John Mayer, who owned an established and successful pottery manufactory and who were well acquainted with the American ceramics trade. Giles became the Mayer’s western U. S. importer and wholesaler, a relationship between the two families which continued for over two decades. Giles also brought back to St. Louis skilled workmen from the potteries in an attempt to manufacture pottery from Missouri clay. While this venture demonstrated that good quality white ware could be made locally, the attempt failed on a commercial basis and was halted after a few years. In 1849 Giles decided to start an iron foundry to produce stoves for the ever expanding St. Louis market. He sold the pottery business to his cousins, Edward A. and Samuel R. Filley, who had worked for him in the chinaware store, and with the proceeds established the Excelsior Stove Works, an enormously successful business that made him a millionaire by the time of his death in 1901. Edward and Samuel, in turn, brought their younger brother, Chauncey (born in 1829) into the business. Edward and Samuel added glassware, Brittania ware, and lighting fixtures to their inventory and were highly successful, so much so, that in 1857 Chauncey left the firm to establish his own separate business in the city. Edward and Samuel, who used James Edwards & Son as their primary Staffordshire supplier after the Mayer firm bankruptcy of 1854, continued their partnership to the end of the Civil War, when Samuel retired. Chauncey developed a close working relationship with the re-born Mayer partnerships (Mayer Bros. & Elliot, 1855-1858; Mayer & Elliot, 1858-1860, and worked closely with Staffordshire potters particularly during the war years (Ewins 2001). After the war, Edward and Chauncey continued their separate Staffordshire pottery and chinaware businesses."